My family usually doesn’t like anything green with their barbecue. I don’t know what they’re thinking — “Go Meat!” I think.
Lucky for them I never give up serving greens to keep them honest. These string beans and grape tomatoes were hand picked by the boys right from their garden. So they have to eat them, right?
Not everyone has a garden, I realize that, but we can always buy fresh string beans in our local markets.
With fresh string beans and tomatoes making a healthy salad couldn’t get any easier.
Here’s the scoop.
- 1 lb. fresh string beans, cleaned
- 1 quart or 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- ½ thinly sliced red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 TBLS. drizzle of olive oil
- 2-3 tsp. Balsamic vinegar
- Rinse the string beans in cold water and snap off the tips as needed.
- Steam in saucepot until tender about 2-3 minutes (depending on the amount in the pot.
- Microwave beans by placing in a large plastic bag with a tablespoon of water for 2-3 minutes.
- They are done when you can snap the bean in half easily. It will be tender.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place on top of the beans.
- Mix the oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and any other condiments you choose and stir together well. (You can add more vinegar or oil, based on your preference.)
- Pour over the beans and tomatoes and chill until ready to serve.
Serve along with the BBQ beans and everyone’s favorite burgers, hot dogs, and ribs.