I came across this recipe that claimed to be gluten free. It got my attention, not because it was gluten free but I noticed that the recipe was short, seemed easy enough to prepare, and it looked like my kind of chocolate cookie.
I had all the ingredients in my pantry and decided to make them before I started making dinner.
It was a breeze, this was definitely an easy recipe and the cleanup was done before the cookies finished baking.
You know how when you see a recipe it sounds so fantastic you can taste it, but so often we get disappointed. Well this recipe delivered the soft and chewy, and rich delicious chocolate flavor I tasted when I read this recipe.
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites (do not whip or mix)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I used chocolate chips)
- Mix together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt with a whisk to blend and break up any lumps. Gradually add the egg whites stirring with a spoon until mixture forms a dough. -- This takes a minute or two and can be a little messy with the powdered sugar, but keep at it.
- When thoroughly blended add in the nuts or chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon size) drop on to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 19 minutes until glossy and crackled. Cool on rack.
WOW!, these cookies were a hit with my grandsons. Of course they eat anything that is sweet, and these cookies were sweet. But they were “Oh, so chocolatey” and they stayed soft for the 36 hours they were on the counter before the boys devoured them.
Give them a try if you need a fast and easy recipe any time!