My youngest grandson loves animals, he’s so curious about Rudolf and the rest of the reindeer.
His major concern is where Santa stops to feed them. He thinks the reindeer will get hungry and tired flying from country to country hauling all the presents and Santa on the sleigh. Well it is heavy! no?
It’s exhausting trying to come up with explanations that sound reasonable. You just can’t make up silly stories. Somehow the kids know when your being ‘bad’.
All that thinking along with all the other stuff going on this week has me wanting to cook less right now. I have to bake. I should say I’d rather bake this week than cook, but we do have to eat.
So today I made a quick stir fry. Well it wasn’t an actual stir-fry since I didn’t use a traditional wok. I just used a heavy saute pan. It was easy, no mess, and it really was delicious.
- 1 cup brown rice
- approx. ½ lb. cleaned shrimp
- 1 thinly sliced small onion and sliced garlic clove
- 1 pkg. frozen broccoli florets
- sesame oil
- 1 tsp. soy sauce & 1 tsp. vegetable oil (if needed)
- ½ to 1 cup chicken broth
- 1½ tsp. cornstarch
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Heat a heavy saute pan and add the oil. Then add the onion and garlic and stir until the onion is translucent.
- Pre-cook the frozen broccoli in the microwave only half the time recommended. It will cook through when added to the shrimp.
- Add shrimp to hot oil and cook about 1 minute on each side.
- Add pre-cooked broccoli to the shrimp and stir together about another minute.
- Now add the chicken broth and soy sauce to taste. You can add salt and pepper to taste if you wish but the soy sauce is salty.
- Stir for a minute until the broccoli heats through and the shrimp are cooked — about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with 2 TBLS. of water and stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Add it to the saucepan and stir for a few seconds and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve over the cooked rice.
This recipe serves 2 adults. You can add more or less of any ingredient to adapt to your taste. You can also substitute chicken for the shrimp and use frozen stir fry vegetables. I used what was in my freezer but you certainly can use whatever you like.
Enjoy the season stress free and make cooking quick and easy!
This recipe is listed on the Friday Potluck: