Last year my sister and I reminisced about our childhood Easter holiday when we spent the days prior to Easter Sunday with our cousins and having fun while our moms’ made Pizza Rustica which is the Easter meat pie.
We didn’t spend much time in the kitchen during those earlier years, but our memories of that time stayed with us.
Now that we’re just a tad bit older we make Pizza Rustica only occasionally — trying to keep us all in-line eating more healthy, cutting back on the salt, fats, and cheeses.
It’s hard to resist Pizza Rustica so we splurge when we know we have been towing the line during the weeks prior to Easter.
Instead of making a deep dish pie the way our mom did, I now use a pie plate. In my mind I think this is better for portion control.
My mother used to buy the dried salami, sopressata, pepperoni among other delicious specialties at the salumeria. These were staples and always on our table with or without the antipasti.
For the pies my mom would cut up all these meats, the provolone and mozzarella. This was time consuming. In today’s world time is of the essence. To cut out some of this cutting and chopping, the Italian deli or any large market deli department will cut a thick slice of any meat and cheese you like.
All you need to do is cut each chunk into approx. 1/2 inch cubes which will take all of 5 minutes. Set these aside and you are ready to mix the ricotta, egg, and cheeses, then stir in the meats and bake. The total prep time to make this pie is less than 15 minutes — unless you are making your own pie dough.
This is another recipe that is very flexible. You can use the meats you prefer. The pie will turn out the same but the taste will be exactly as you desire by using the ingredients you like.
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1-2 TBLS. grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 cup of cubed mozzarella
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- ½″ thick slice of Genoa salami
- ½″ thick slice of ham
- ½″ thick slice of pepperoni
- ½″ thick slice provolone
- 3-4 thin slices prosciutto di Parma
- 3-4 thin slices sopressata
- Cut the deli meats and cheese slices into cubes and set aside in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl mix the ricotta, egg, grated cheese and pepper just until the egg is well blended.
- Chop the hard boiled egg and add it to the mixture with the remainder of the ingredients to the ricotta mixture. Stir gently just to combine the ingredients.
- Line a pie plate with the dough and fill with the mixture. Cover the mixture with the second pie dough and crimp sides.
- Brush top of pie crust with egg wash or milk and bake in 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes.
Let cool for several hours before serving. Can be served at room temperature or cold from the refrigerator.