A Lobster Roll can be a summer splurge especially when the price of fresh lobster can be quite high. Sometimes it’s worth the splurge.
A few posts back I mentioned grampy was on vacation. We spent one of the days on the east end of Long Island enjoying the sites in a small harbor town.
The weather was one of those rare exceptional days when the sun is not too hot and there was a slight breeze coming off the water. PERFECT! for relaxing and enjoying nature.
It was a beautiful day of luxury and splurge. The luxury was two yachts that were docked in the harbor. They looked like they should have been docked in the south of France. Each had a helicopter pad and small life boats.
Unfortunately I was unable to capture a decent photo – a couple of buildings blocked the wider view – and unless I wanted to go for a swim, the photo just wasn’t happening.
However, this shot was “No Problem” to capture.
The splurge was our early afternoon snack (in place of a real lunch), a lemon ice from a ‘shop on the corner’ — $3.95 for a small — yep, a day of splurge for homemade water ice. .
After we worked up an appetite walking through town and browsing in the antique shops we decided to have our late lunch/’early bird special’ at a restaurant on the water with the perfect view of the luxury yachts we passed earlier. I had the lunch special — fresh lobster roll with salad, and a dessert — too good to pass up.
Now I’m obsessed with making lobster roll at home. About a week after our day trip, one of our local markets had a $2.99 lobster tail special. When I saw the ad I had to get there right away before they sold out. You know how those specials are, here one minute, gone the next. It was a good deal even though they were small – and it was just enough for my lobster roll splurge.
The restaurant version of the lobster roll I had was simply dressed with a light mayo and citrus dressing. It was just right so that’s what I was going for, not too many flavors to overpower the lobster.
If you are ready for a little summer splurge give this a try. It’s easy to make and if lobster tails are too expensive you can use shrimp and still enjoy a summer splurge.
- 1 cup cooked lobster meat
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1½ tsp. mayonaise
- ½ tsp. cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 hot dog roll (or any sandwich roll you prefer)
- smear butter to spread on roll for toasting
- Steam the lobster tails, or a whole lobster for a few minutes, just until opaque. Gently remove the lobster meat from the shell.
- Set aside the lobster meat to cool.
- Chop the celery and place in a medium bowl. Add the remaining ingredients stir together to blend. Taste for the desired flavors, adding additional ingredients if necessary, as desired. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Add the cooled lobster meat to the dressing and stir well to coat the lobster meat.
- Butter the roll and lightly toast. Add the lobster to your favorite sandwich roll and enjoy.
This recipe is flexible. You can adjust the amount of each ingredient you want to use. Begin by using less, then taste and add additional ingredients as needed.
I’ve shared this with: