Cookie baking with spelt flour and no eggs makes for a healthy treat to add to anyone’s lunch box.
I’ve made several cookie recipes using white whole wheat flour, coconut flour, almond flour and a tried and true Egg Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. The reasons are simple, some of us have allergies and some are making dietary changes for health reasons.
Spelt flour does not easily absorb liquid as does regular all purpose flour so you’ll notice that this recipe uses more liquids than a basic cookie recipe – honey replaces the refined sugar and I use avocado oil in place of butter.
This cookie batter will be a bit thin compared to a traditional cookie recipe but chilling the dough will help to make the dough more ‘scoopable’.
One thing I try to remind my cookie tasters is this cookie will have a slightly different texture than a traditional chocolate chip cookie but when making healthy food choices we just have to accept the changes to enjoy a healthy treat.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½-3/4 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat ove to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat
- In medium bowl whisk the spelt flour and almond flour with the salt and baking soda until well blended.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil, honey (or maple syrup if using) and vanilla until well blended.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix util well combined. Scrape down the
- sides and stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop a tablespoon of cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes or until the cookies are golden.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack.
Here are some other cookie recipes you might enjoy: