Spaetzle and Oktoberfest Happenings – It’s the time of year for lots of family fun to enjoy some of the traditions of the German Oktoberfest during the fall with traditional foods and fairs across the states.
It’s a family fun seasonal celebration that is happening during the fall season in many towns across the country.
Way back in the ’80’s our town held a fun Oktoberfest family event on a Saturday evening in late September. Everyone walked along Main Street and enjoyed the sidewalk entertainment for the kids, ‘oompah music’, and of course traditional foods and craft beers that our local shop owners would provide.
It seems like ages ago (I guess 30+ years is ages ago or even a generation ago). Alas times change, and today our town is quiet and shy about hosting this type of event.
But I’m not giving up on the good food and fun of Oktoberfest. I’m cooking up a couple of dishes that will compliment any meal even if it is not a traditional German dish.
Spaetzle is a favorite. It’s sometime called a German dumpling or noodle which is boiled and served with butter as a side dish. I, for one, can’t resist this German pasta style dish. It’s an easy recipe that you will want to make all the time.
- 1 cup AP flour
- ½ tsp.salt
- 1 pinch white pepper (use black pepper if you don't have white)
- ½ tsp.ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp.butter
- 2 TBLS.chopped fresh parsley
- 4 quarts hot water
- Add the water to a 5 quart pot and heat to a simmer.
- Mix together the flour, salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Beat the eggs in a small dish and alternate adding the egg and milk to the flour mixture.
- Mix dough until smooth. Press a small portion of the dough through a metal cheese grater or colander and drop into the simmering water. Add only a portion of the batter and cook approx. 5 to 8 minutes.
- Drain well. Continue this process until you have used all the batter.
- Heat a medium sauce pan to medium heat and add the butter and cooked spaetzle and saute 2 or 3 minutes just to coat the spaetzle with the butter. Add the chopped parsley and serve.
You might also enjoy this delicious and easy to make Red Cabbage as a side dish.