Cabbage Apple Slaw
is a great side salad for BBQ burgers or add to the buffet when serving a crowd.
It’s football season and I’m looking for side dishes to add to the buffet table. The crowd gets feisty if they don’t get ‘fast foods’.
Yeah, like I’m gonna’ give ’em fast food . . . although this recipe can be considered fast food since it takes less than 20 minutes to make — or even less time if you use packaged shredded cabbage.
Not only is this a ‘fast food’ but you can add spices and flavors to fit your crowd. Make it spicy or even sweeter than the recipe calls for. Or leave out the sweet and make it tangy — it’s up to you.
This is a vegetarian side dish and it can be gluten free if you use gluten free condiments.
Add this cabbage apple slaw to any Sunday football buffet or tailgate party. You can make it a day in advance which can definitely be a help when you have a lot of things to do on game day.
- 1 or 2 Granny Smith Apple peeled & shredded or julienned (or choose your favorite style)
- 2 pkgs. shredded cabbage or 1 large fresh cabbage shredded
- ¾ cup light mayonnaise
- ½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1½ TBLS. honey (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1½ TBLS. lemon juice
- 1 -2 TBLS. apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBLS. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 TBLS. chopped fresh dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a separate bowl add the dressing ingredients and mix well until blended. Taste and adjust seasonings according to taste.
- Julienne or shred the apples and cabbage if you are not buying the package of shredded cabbage. Add the shredded items to the bowl with the dressing and gently toss until the dressing is well blended with the cabbage and apple.
- Add the parsley and/or dill and gently stir until well mixed.
- You can make this a day in advance and keep covered in the fridge. Stir well when ready to serve.
- I added a squeeze of lemon to the sliced apples to keep them from turning brown.
- This recipe makes a large bowl of slaw. I used only one small head of red cabbage (which is what grampy brought home) and 1 large apple and it made about 5 cups.
I’ve shared this with: