Some of us are still wrapping presents, or maybe decorating the tree. It’s a hectic time but it’s the time of year when we enjoy entertaining family and friends.
I like casual meals this time of year. I always keep fresh berries and some seasonal fruit available for brunch and sometimes I just like to make breakfast for dinner.
You don’t have to dig up special recipes, or spend a fortune buying the most expensive ingredients. Breakfast foods are nutritious and inexpensive and we usually have everything in our pantries.
Here is a simple menu I like to put together for a happy meal when it’s least expected.
The fruit juice cocktail with the strawberry buschetta dresses up a basic weekend breakfast to a festive holiday brunch. It’s all very easy to do and it’s not going to break the bank.
- Fruit Juice Cocktail (use sparkling water for the kids)
- Strawberry Bruschetta
- Whole Grain Pancakes with Berry Compote and Slivered Almonds
- Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate
For the strawberry bruschetta I used whole grain bread and used a glass to cut out 2-3″ rounds.
- Fresh Strawberries
- whole grain bread slices toasted
- balsamic vinegar
- Slice or chop the strawberries and add a teaspoon of honey and balsamic vinegar and stir until blended. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Cut rounds or triangles from bread slices and toast.
- Just before serving add the strawberries to the toast and serve.
FRUIT JUICE COCKTAIL is easy to make. Use your favorite fruit juice and add sparkling water for a Family Friendly Cocktail. If you want to make an adult version use a Sparkling Wine in place of the water.
Fill each glass 2/3 full with juice, then add the sparkling water or wine. Add fresh berries or slices of lime for garnish.
Serve with or without ice
Whip up a batch of muffins and pancakes and enjoy a casual yet festive brunch with family and friends.