Pecan Shortbread Cookies
an easy cookie recipe you should add to your holiday baking list and always popular for Cookie Exchange.
The ‘theme’ for my cookie recipes is always something that’s foolproof and is EASY!. Since we are short on time this year I needed to make things fast and easy. Shortbread cookie recipes have few ingredients, it’s quite easy to make even though there are many recipe variations from which to choose.
You can find a recipe for shortbread cookies in almost every holiday magazine and every cookbook that includes cookie recipes. This recipe I’m sharing today is one I’ve been making for a couple of years now and it never fails.
What is great about this recipe is that it’s flexible. You can use any ‘add-ins’ you wish if you do not want to use pecans – or any nuts for that matter. Adding warm fall spices to the dough will give you a delicious cookie that is perfect with a cup of tea or hot chocolate.
They also freeze well. Make a batch in advance and freeze them for when unexpected guests arrive. Then just defrost and bake.
Pecan Shortbread Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) butter softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a medium size bowl beat sugar and butter on medium speed until well blended (approximately 1 minute).
- baking preparation
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour and salt. Mix just until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Gather the dough in to large ball and divide in half. Wrap each individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove one dough ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch. While rolling the dough sprinkle the chopped pecans on top of the dough and gently roll the pin over the pecans into the dough. I like adding nuts to the dough this way rather than adding them when mixing the dough.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will not brown, the edges may turn a light beige.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Always a fan favorite, Pecan Shortbread Cookies make any season special. Add this cookie to any dessert buffet for parties or game day.
It’s easy to make and if you make them in advance you can freeze them until you are ready to serve.
Pecan Shortbread Cookies is the cookie I often add to a hostess holiday gift or gift basket.
You might also enjoy these festive cookies: