Valentine Sandwich Cookies
are made using a basic shortbread cookie dough and then cut out into heart shapes for your favorite Valentine.
I know I’m late with my Valentine recipes, but better late than never, and you can always make these anytime of the year.
I like to use a shortbread dough for sandwich cookies. The jelly helps sweeten the not-so-sweet shortbread cookie for a delicious treat on Valentine’s Day or any day. Oh, and don’t feel shy if you decide to fill the cookie with a chocolate ganache for your favorite chocolate lover.
Making a shortbread dough is easy and takes about 10 minutes to prep but needs to chill about an hour. So make the dough just after the kids get on the school bus and you’ll have everything done (including your household chores) before the clock strikes 12.
You can make these this weekend for an extra special treat.
TIP: The amount of jam needed to fill the cookies will depend on how small/large you make the cookies, and of course how large or small you made your cookies.
- 1 cup butter softened
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¼ cups AP flour
- ½ cup Strawberry Jam (or use your favorite jam)
- In a large bowl add butter, brown sugar and vanilla and beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Reduce speed and slowly add the flour and continue to mix, scraping the sides of the bowl to be sure everything is combined and well blended until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a smooth soft dough.
- Scoop the dough from the bowl and form into a ball, then flatten a bit and divide it into 2. Wrap each section in plastic wrap and chill about an hour.
- Roll out to ¼ inch and cut out desired shapes (hearts for Valentine’s day) or circles.
- Cut out a center shape on half of the cut-outs. This will give you the jelly window.
- Place cookies onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Cool on wire racks.
- Spread the jam on the bottom cookie and top with the cut out cookie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar OR you can drizzle with melted chocolate.
Dip some cookies in melted chocolate for your favorite chocolate lover.
You Might Also Enjoy These Sweet Treats for Valentine’s Day!