Spring is here but the weather is still chilly so I’m making stuffed peppers using quinoa in place of rice and meat. I’ve been using a lot of quinoa this winter. It’s a good-for-you grain that has a lot of protein and it is said to regulate blood sugar levels.
Since I’ve been trying to eliminate the bad carbs from grampy’s diet quinoa has been my go-to grain by preparing it in different ways and often making it in place of rice pilaf. Just by adding different vegetables the results are always different.
I saw this recipe for quinoa stuffed peppers in Family Circle Magazine and decided to give it a try. I made a few little changes – I used golden raisins in place of the figs and I added walnuts along with the cashews. The mixture was a little loose or crumbly so I added an egg to help bind it and keep it together.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 TBLS. grapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup dried figs (or golden raisins), roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut peppers in half and seed. Par boil them for about 3 minutes (do not cook until soft). Drain and set aside.
- Cut and dice one of the par-boiled peppers and set aside.
- Cook the quinoa 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Using the same pot, heat oil and stir in the dice onion and saute for about 3 minutes then add in the diced pepper continuing to cook about 5 minutes. Add in the cumin and cinnamon and cook for another minute stirring well to blend.
- Add in the figs, nuts, quinoa and beaten egg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and then fill each pepper half with the mixture.
- Place the pepper halves in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake another 20 minutes.
This quinoa filling was extremely tasty with a nice balance of sweet and savory and crunchiness from the nuts. Add a spinach salad for a healthy and delicious meal.
Here is another Quinoa recipe for #MeatlessMonday, Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini.