Easy Toll House Style Snack Cake
Mix all in one dish and bake in the microwave. I know what you are thinking, “microwave cakes, are you kidding?”
This cake has been tested, tasted and reviewed by my peanut gallery. I’m going to be very honest, it was not a 5 Star review but it was favorable.
The edges of the cake were dry but the majority of the cake was a decent texture.
After baking this cake it should be cut and served within a few hours. I did save the leftovers for a couple of days and grampy added a scoop of ice cream and he enjoyed it.
I had the last piece 2 days after I made it, and it was a little dry but the chocolate topping still made it enjoyable. It did not take on the tough texture as many microwaved cakes get.
I recommend trying this cake. It is most important to not over-cook the cake. Cook it for the recommended time. Keep in mind that the cake will continue to cook after it is removed from the microwave.
Just because we are having a heat wave doesn’t mean we should not have dessert. Try it, I think you’ll like it!
This recipe is from cooks.com and is a take on the toll house cookie. I made a couple of changes to the sugar in the recipe since grampy has to watch his sugar intake.
Another bonus for this recipe is you can do all the prep work in the baking dish so the clean up is easy.
- ½ cup butter
- 6 tbsp. coconut sugar (or 6 tbs. of use your preferred sugar)
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ TBLS. Plain Greek yogurt
- 1¼ cup AP flour
- pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups chocolate chips – divided
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Use an 8″x8″ glass pyrex dish. Add butter to dish and melt in microwave just until melted.
- In same dish add sugar and maple syrup and stir until well blended. Next add in the eggs and vanilla, yogurt and continue to stir until blended.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda and stir into the egg mixture approximately 50 strokes or until the ingredients are all well blended.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and stir into mixture. Spread mixture evenly in the baking dish.
- Microwave on HIGH 6 to 8 minutes. The center of the cake will rise – a lot. Depending on the power of your microwave you will know if you should remove the cake at 6 minutes, 7, or 8 minutes. I took mine out at 6½ minutes.
You might also enjoy these Chocolate snack recipes: