Enjoy a seafood salad when the temps are too hot to cook, like this keep cool seafood avocado salad.
It’s summer and we expect it to be hot, Yes? However, it doesn’t need to be hot in the kitchen.
I’ll be sharing recipes that require little or no cooking so you can Keep Kool in the Kitchen.
This is grilling season and while grilling helps to keep the kitchen cool we sometimes look to have something different, a little change.
My first recipe is for seafood avocado salad. I used lobster – it is my one summer splurge which I buy when it’s on sale. Last week the market had steamed lobster claws on sale and I thought I would make a cool salad.
Have no fear, I’m not out to break the budget. You can use imitation crab, lump crabmeat, shrimp, or if you have the urge you can splurge on a little bit of lobster. The salad is simple to make with just a few ingredients. You don’t want to drown out the seafood!
- 1 or 2 Avocados
- 2 cups seafood cut in bite size pieces
- 2-3 TBLS. chopped celery
- 2 TBLS. chopped parsley and/or chives
- 1 TBLS. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 TBLS. mayonnaise
- 1-2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- Cut 1 or 2 avocados in half. Remove the seed and squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over the avocado to prevent it from turning brown. Set aside.
- Cut up the seafood of your choice into small bite sized pieces.
- Stir in the celery, parsley/chives if using. Mix in the fresh lemon juice, mayo and mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the seafood mixture into the avocado halves.
- This recipe makes enough for 2 servings. I used ½ cup on each avocado half and we each had a whole avocado.
- Or you can make 4 servings using ½ avocado per person with a side salad.
As with many of my recipes this seafood salad is very flexible. You can add or substitute your favorite ingredients to your tastes.