I made fresh grape sorbet with some of the fresh grapes I bought last week. I made fresh grape juice lemonade and I still had a lot of grapes so I made sorbet.
Using an ice cream machine is the quick way to make a sorbet. It’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
If you make a granita you have to scrape the ice crystals every hour or two until it is well combined and frozen.
It can be a few hours before the granita will be ready to serve. This is fine when time is on your side. You can make it in advance to have when you’re ready for your frozen treat.
The recipe is very simple. In less than 30 minutes you will have the perfect sorbet.
- 4-6 cups fresh fruit (if using melons or stone fruit, cut in small cubes)
- juice from fresh lemon
- sweetener of choice if needed (honey, agave, stevia)
- Place the cut up fresh fruit in the blender and puree until smooth.
- Strain the fruit puree into a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and stir into the puree. Taste for sweetness and to see if you would like to add more lemon juice. Add sugar, if needed, a little at a time. This is all a personal preference.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream machine and run according to directions.
Grampy wished we had paper cups for the sorbet. He said it reminded him of the water ices we used to get when we were kids – that was a really long time ago, but he was right. It brought back the fun summer memories of childhood.
We sat back enjoying our sorbet and shared our favorite childhood memories with the boys. It was a fun night and the boys had loads of questions – “Why did we always go to the beach?” “Why didn’t we watch t.v?” and “Why didn’t we have any air conditioning?” They were definitely curious as to how life was so different way back when times were less stressful and ‘livin’ was easy’!
Food brings us together. We make memories and leave behind a legacy for future generations.