Macaroni and cheese or mac ‘n cheese as it’s called today, is always on someone’s menu. It’s my go-to dish when I can’t think of anything else.
I always have cheese in the fridge, it’s one of my staples along with eggs, milk and butter.
Today’s macaroni and cheese is the side dish to our leftover meatloaf. I used three cheeses today, white and yellow cheddar, Gruyere and Parmagiano Reggiano cheese.
This is today’s Macaroni and Cheese in which I used two lower fat cheeses and Dreamfields pasta which has a lower glycemic impact. You can use your favorite cheeses and pasta. Either way, mac ‘n cheese is always delicious.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (I use Dreamfields)
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese (Cracker Barrel 2% milk Extra Sharp)
- 1½ cups shredded white cheddar cheese (Cabot 50% fat)
- ¼ cup Gruyere cheese
- 2 TBLS. Parmagiano Reggiano
- 1¾ cups milk (low-fat is o.k.)
- 2 TBLS. butter
- 2 TBLS. flour
- ¼ cup panko crumbs
- 2 TBLS. chopped parsley
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions but cook it 2 minutes less. It will continue to cook in the oven.
- Shred the cheddar and Gruyere cheeses and set aside.
- Chop the parsley and add it to a small bowl with the bread crumbs and the Parmagiano Reggiano cheese and set aside.
- Drain macaroni put half of the macaroni in a baking dish, set aside the remainder for now.
- In the same pot used for the macaroni, melt the butter and add the flour stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add the milk slowly while stirring constantly and dissolving the lumps. Continue to cook on low to medium heat until the milk thickens,stirring occasionally. This will take about 8-12 minutes.
- When milk begins to bubble, add three quarters of the yellow cheddar and the white cheddar to the milk and stir well until the cheese starts to melt.
- Pour some of the milk mixture over the half macaroni in the baking dish just to cover. Stir the mixture into macaroni and then add the remainder of the yellow cheddar cheese
- Add the remainder of the macaroni to the baking dish and add the rest of the milk mixture to the macaroni. Stir well to combine and add the grated Gruyere cheese to the top, and then sprinkle the panko mixture over the top.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to bubble around the edges.