Spicy Cheddar Cheese Quick Bread
an easy to make ‘quick bread’ recipe to serve as a side for chili, soups, stews. Great for ‘dunking’!
Did you ever have one of those days when you just needed something extra to add to your meal?
That happened to me this week. I happened to see this savory cheddar cheese quick bread and I thought I would give it a try.
Quick breads are just that, quick, easy and they are delicious. The preparation for a making quick bread is what makes them easy — add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix to blend. It takes all of 5 minutes or less.
You can make quick breads either sweet or savory and they always turn out just right – no messes in the kitchen with a quick bread recipe.
I found this recipe in an old issue of Taste of Home magazine to which I made a few changes in the flour and oil.
- 1¼ cups AP flour
- 1¼ cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsps. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup grapeseed oil (or vegetable or canola)
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- 1½ TBLS. spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 TBLS. fresh chopped herbs – optional (chives/cilantro/parsley)
- In large bowl combine the dry ingredients, flour, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs, yogurt, oil, milk and mustard.
- Now gently add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, gently stirring the mixture just until well blended.
- Gently fold in the shredded cheese and herbs if using.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan and remove to wire rack to cool.
Spicy cheddar cheese quick bread can be made in advance and it freezes well so you can have it ready anytime. It’s great to serve on game-day.
You Might Also Enjoy These Recipes In Place of Rolls: