Chicken Almost Cacciatore Style
weeknight dinner made with the flavors of chicken cacciatore is very easy to make and you will have a delicious dinner in 40 minutes.
Life is getting more hectic lately. I thought we would be slowing down into an easy retirement lifestyle.
I don’t think that is happening just yet.
All this means is that my recipes are getting shorter and easier to make since time gets away from me most days.
That could be a really good thing, healthier choices and shorter cooking times.
I’ve shared my Chicken Cacciatore recipe which is tried and true delicious. I just don’t have an extra hour to get this going. So here is my, I just got home, grampy’s hungry and I need to make it quick, Chicken in a ‘sort of’ Cacciatore style recipe. Grampy likes anything that sounds like it’s Italian style – power of suggestion.
The ingredients are similar, the process is much quicker and dinner is on the table in 40 minutes or less, depending on how organized I am that day.
By using chicken breasts which I cut up into large cubes makes for quicker cooking. I also don’t use a lot of canned tomatoes. Fresh grape tomatoes are great to cook with, they do not need as much cooking time as canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes need to cook down a bit for flavors to develop. Fresh is better AND quicker.
All this cooks in the 20 minutes it takes to cook either rice or pasta. Done before you know it.
Using roasted garlic in this recipe adds another level of flavor. You can roast garlic in advance when you have time and it will keep in the fridge at least 3 days. Here is my Roasted Garlic Recipe.
- 3 cloves garlic roasted (or use chopped fresh garlic)
- 3 TBLS. olive oil
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts, cut in large cubes
- 3 TBLS. flour (for dusting chicken cubes)
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 bell peppers (your choice red, green, yellow, orange)
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 leaves fresh basil, roughly cut
- ½ pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- 1 TBLS. butter
- Roast garlic (see recipe link above) or use chopped fresh garlic.
- In a large saute pan heat the oil on medium heat. Cut the chicken in large cubes, dust them with flour and then add to the hot oil. Cook on one side for about 3 minutes and turn then until they are just turning opaque – another 3-5 minutes. (Don’t over cook as they will continue to cook with the vegetables and chicken stock.) Remove the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers and saute for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally then add in the tomatoes. Let cook just until they are starting to soften. Add the roasted garlic and stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms to the vegetables and stir, and then add in the chicken stock, and wine if using. Cover and cook about 10 minutes until the peppers soften and the chicken continues to cook. Add the butter and fresh parsley and stir well. Top off with fresh basil leaves roughly torn.
Serve with pasta or over rice and a mixed green salad.
You might also enjoy these quick and easy recipes: