Cheddar and Apple Grilled Cheese
is a classic combination for a delicious sandwich for lunch or light dinner.
When I was going through the fridge looking to make something for lunch the cheddar cheese and apple spoke to me. It’s really nothing fancy, but it’s a great flavor combination.
Simple can sometimes be the best when using classic ingredients. I always use whole grain bread for sandwiches and decided to slice the apple in ’rounds’ rather than in wedges. The apple rounds fit better on the sandwich and to keep them in place I ‘sandwiched‘ the apple slices between the cheese slices.
- 6 slices whole grain sandwich bread
- 6 cheddar cheese slices
- 2 apples, washed & sliced (your choice of apple & either peeled or unpeeled)
- ⅓ cup walnut halves
- 6-8 TBLS. butter for grilling
- Have enough cheese slices to place on 3 slices of bread. The amount of cheese is a personal preference. If you use deli sliced cheese you can use 2-4 slices on each sandwich.
- Butter 3 slices of bread on one side. Heat pan and place the butter side down in the hot pan.
- On to the bread slice in the pan add a layer of cheese, a layer of apple slices and another layer of cheese. Place a cover over the top which helps the cheese melt without the bread burning.
- When the cheese starts to melt on the bottom layer place the second slice of bread buttered side facing up. Flip over the sandwich so the new slice of bread is now on the pan to get toasted.
- Cover again and cook until the bread is toasted to your liking.
Add a few more apple slices and some walnuts to the plate for added crunch and a delicious lunch.