Cheesy Cauliflower Bread and Pizza Slices
a delicious low carb, gluten free alternative for pizza. Easy to make for weekend snacks, or a side in place of bread.
Over the past several years I’ve been trying to add cauliflower into our diet and when I saw the cauliflower cheese sticks I thought this might be the secret road to discovering a new food.
I’ve made this cheesy cauliflower bread sticks in a ‘pizza’ style hoping the boys will like it and think they are eating a type of pizza and not cauliflower.
It worked. Most kids just don’t want to try something that looks unusual, so the pizza ‘style’ low carb pizza slices was the key. As a result, cauliflower is starting to become a semi-regular on our table. I can hear that chuckle – patience is needed here, it’s a slow and winding road.
It took less than 10 minutes to ‘rice’ the cauliflower. Easy, done!
It only takes about 5-7 minutes to mix the ingredients and spread on the pan.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce (homemade or jar)
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- ½-3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Wash and cut the florets from the stem of the cauliflower and pat dry.
- Using a grater or ricer, grate only the florets into a bowl - discard the stems.
- When all the cauliflower is grated or riced, place in a bowl or a large freezer bag (do NOT add water) and cook for 3-5 minutes in the microwave.
- Remove cauliflower from microwave and place on a clean cloth towel, roll up the towel and squeeze the water from the cauliflower. Shake off the cauliflower onto a paper towel lined sheet pan and occasionally give it a stir. (I placed it on top of the stove for at least an hour; the heat from the oven helps to dry the cauliflower).
- When the cauliflower is dried, add it to a bowl.
- Next add in the beaten egg, mozzarella, herbs/seasonings and salt and pepper mixing well with a whisk.
- On a parchment lined pan spread out the mixture in a thin layer to form a triangle (mine was about 14 x 7 which will vary based on the size of the cauliflower)
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes, until it is browned and firm.
- Remove from the oven and spread with marinara sauce and sprinkle with the grated cheese and shredded mozzarella.
- Place in a 425 degree oven for 5-8 minutes until the cheeses melt in with the sauce.
- Remove from the oven & let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Carefully remove to a plate and cut into slices. Serve with additional marinara sauce for dipping.
The cauliflower “pizza” slices looked so browned and cheesy you get the impression it’s going to be crispy — Caution, it was NOT crispy. It was a tender, delicate tasty cauliflower ‘pizza’ slice. Keep in mind that this is not a real pizza slice — it will break if you try to pick it up like a slice of pizza.
TIPS: The trick to this recipe is to be sure the ‘riced’ cauliflower is dry enough. Spread out the riced cauliflower on a clean towel or double strength paper towel, roll up and squeeze out the water. You will be surprised at how much water comes out.
The drying time takes a while. Planning ahead will make this well worth the drying time. After making this recipe many times, I most often rice the cauliflower in the morning which allows plenty of time for the riced cauliflower to dry.