Macaroons With Chocolate Drizzle
Macaroons are a favorite of ours. We love coconut and this little cookie or sweet treat is very easy to make for the upcoming Spring Holidays.
Because macaroons are made without flour and leavening, they are a popular sweet treat for Passover.
I make them a few times a year but this time I made them with homemade Dairy Free sweetened condensed coconut milk and I used honey in place of granulated white sugar.
A little bit of healthy goin’ on here — good for you coconut and low in sugar dairy free homemade sweetened condensed milk.
Making the coconut macaroons is a very easy process though it did take a little thinking ahead. I made the dairy free sweetened condensed coconut milk early in the day so it had time to cool. The prep/cook/chilling time for the milk took a little over an hour in total.
To make the macaroon cookies is a breeze. You can mix and bake the macaroons in less than an hour.
While the dairy free sweetened condensed milk was cooling I gathered all my ingredients together and whipped up the egg whites.
- 1 cup non-dairy sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 7 oz. sweetened shredded coconut
- 7 oz. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ tsp. salt
- If you are making homemade sweetened condensed milk, make it first and chill well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine the cool milk and coconut and stir well to combine.
- Beat egg whites and salt to stiff peaks. Gently fold into the coconut mixture.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop the coconut mixture onto the cookie sheet. I gently pressed the coconut mixture to be sure it held it's shape.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
I melted 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips and drizzled it over the macaroons.
Check out the DIY and Easy To Make Dairy Free Sweetened Condensed Milk