This bright fresh Spinach and Arugula salad is simply dressed and has added flavors from the roasted peppers, black olives and sweet grape tomatoes.
It’s a bit of a challenge to find new ways to ‘dress up’ the fried chicken cutlets every week.
This spinach and arugula salad does just that and to be honest it was so good and satisfying that we ate less chicken and enjoyed the salad more.
I’m not reinventing the wheel, you can toss up your favorite salad and add it to your plate.
Let’s just say I’m not a fan of grampy’s usual romaine salad with green olives tossed with vinegar and oil.
If I’m frying up chicken cutlets again then I wanted to try something new – the tired ol’ cutlets are looking for a little more excitement.
Some bold and new flavors are needed to dress this up. I put together a mixed green salad of fresh baby spinach and arugula. I added chopped roasted peppers, Kalamata olives and toasted pine nuts which I like and I made a Balsamic Dressing which is what grampy likes on his chicken. All in all the salad was a hit and made this ordinary chicken cutlet ‘company’ worthy.
- ½ cup pignoli nuts, toasted
- 1 cup chopped roasted peppers
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup black olives
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 4-6 tablespoons avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast nuts in a saute pan on low/medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring often until lightly brown.
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, and salt and pepper to taste. Slowly drizzle in the oil and whisk until well combined. You can adjust the amount of oil to your taste by adding less or a little more. Taste to adjust.
- Drizzle over the mixed greens, toss well and serve.