It was easy to make and it was simmering on the stove while I prepared the pancakes.
I used fresh berries I already had that were starting to wilt and they were much sweeter. I added some juice from an orange along with a little zest for another layer of flavor.
The natural sugars in the fruit and berries were enough so that no additional sugar is needed. Now that’s a ‘good thing’!
Use this berry compote for topping pancakes, waffles, French Toast, and ice cream.
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- zest from half of an orange
- juice from half of an orange
- Add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and cook on low simmer, stirring occasionally, and continue to cook until the liquid is reduced and thickens. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Keep warm and serve as a topping for pancakes, waffles, french toast, or ice cream.