Mini Chocolate Doughnuts
are baked and dairy free, easy to make anytime as an alternative snack to add to your snack table for the kids or any gathering.
Recently I’ve been adding an alternative snack for the kids. Sometimes we have a few guests who are lactose intolerant. This is a great recipe great alternative recipe to add to your snack table for the kids.
I often use coconut milk in my dessert recipes and lately I have also been using almond milk. So when I have some leftover I use it in snack recipes. The kids (and grampy) never know.
For this quick and easy mini chocolate doughnuts baked recipe I replaced the buttermilk with coconut milk and I substituted the flaxseed replacement for the egg. Feel free to use your preferred milk and egg substitution.
For the topping I made a powdered sugar glaze and added chopped Macadamia nuts which were left over from another recipe. Of course leave out the nuts and maybe decorate with sprinkles or leave them plain when entertaining a crowd.
- ¾ cups All Purpose flour
- ½ cup White Whole Wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Flaxseed Substitution* see NOTE above (OR use 1 egg)
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- ¾ cup minus 2 tsp. coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl, breaking up the lumps in the cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl mix together the flaxseed mixture, the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla until well combined. Add this to the flour mixture gently mixing until blended
- Spoon the batter into the doughnut wells and fill only half way.
- Bake about 8-10 minutes for mini doughnuts or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Use powdered sugar glaze or your preferred topping.
This recipe can easily be adapted to use dairy and egg if you wish. Just replace the coconut milk with 3/4 cup of buttermilk and add 1 egg in place of the flaxseed substitute. I’ve made the recipe both dairy and dairy free and the doughnuts are delicious either way.