I replaced the buttermilk with coconut milk and I used the flaxseed replacement for the egg.
Feel free to use your preferred milk and egg substitution.
For the topping I made a powdered sugar glaze and added chopped Macadamia nuts which were left over from another recipe. Of course you can leave out the nuts and use sprinkles or leave them plain.
- ¾ cups All Purpose flour
- ½ cup White Whole Wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Flaxseed Substitution* see NOTE above (OR use 1 egg)
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- ¾ cup minus 2 tsp. coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl, breaking up the lumps in the cocoa powder.
- In a small bowl mix together the flaxseed mixture, the milk, vegetable oil and vanilla until well combined. Add this to the flour mixture gently mixing until blended
- Spoon the batter into the doughnut wells and fill only half way.
- Bake about 8-10 minutes for mini doughnuts or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Use powdered sugar glaze or your preferred topping.
This recipe can easily be adapted to use dairy and egg if you wish. Just replace the coconut milk with 3/4 cup of buttermilk and add 1 egg in place of the flaxseed substitute. I’ve made the recipe both dairy and dairy free and the doughnuts are delicious either way.