Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
is dairy free and refined sugar free.
I really don’t need a season for ice cream — I luuuuuv ice cream. It’s my favorite food right next to pizza.
I can eat ice cream any time, any weather and probably can get by on a diet of pizza and ice cream. This is just among us ice cream lovers here in blogsphere, I can’t let the kiddies know my food weaknesses.
I have been making this really yummy Easy Chocolate ice cream recipe from America’s Test Kitchen that my sister the cook sent me a few years ago. It’s so easy to make and really good.
However, recently I’ve been changing some of my dessert recipes to dairy free. It’s a healthy alternative I’ve been making that fits into grampy’s dietary changes.
We have to stay as healthy as possible so making some changes to our desserts is important and as long as Grampy has been enjoying the desserts I’m continuing on my quest to make healthier treats for us.
I decided to try one of my favorite ice cream flavors from Ben & Jerry’s – Cherry Garcia. I made a couple of batches and found that my coconut milk recipe works just fine.
It’s a simple dairy free recipe using coconut milk and a little honey for sweetness. Yes, dairy free and no refined sugar :), and yes, NOT a Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia, but right now ‘special diet rules’.
To prepare for this recipe, I make homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk in advance, using 2 cans of full fat coconut milk, use the solid and save the liquid for smoothies. I actually make this dairy free sweetened condensed milk often and keep it in the fridge so that I have it ready for ice cream making.
Homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk will keep in the fridge at least a week, so you can definitely plan your dessert menu in advance and have the milk ready when you are. Here is the link for the Dairy Free Sweetened Condensed Milk.
- ½ - 1 cup pitted cherries, chopped (use fresh or frozen)
- ⅔ cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or you can use your favorite flavor of chocolate chips)
- 2 15 oz. cans sweetened condensed coconut milk (make a double batch of sweetened condensed coconut milk - see recipe link above)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup - add sweetener to taste (you can use stevia or your preferred sweetener to taste)
- Coarsely chop the cherries - you can use a food processor, chopper, or a knife.
- Carefully chop the chocolate to yield ⅔ cup (or you can use milk, semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- Add the chilled sweetened condensed coconut milk to the ice cream machine and process according to directions.
- In the last 5 minutes of churning add in the cherries and chocolate and continue to churn.
- The ice cream will be a soft serve style and you can serve it immediately if you like.
- If you like a traditional style ice cream, transfer the ice cream to a freezer container and freeze until desired consistency.
- Remove from freezer at least 25 minutes prior to serving.
The fresh cherries are so sweet and delicious, they are the star of this ice cream. The kids will never know that this is made with coconut milk.