I’m always looking for something to add to that plain old chicken breast – it needs to stand up and be heard.
It’s not easy to come up with something different all the time but I think the grilling season sometimes is helpful. This weekend I topped that plain Jane chicken with grilled/roasted peppers and onions.
This is a quick and easy dish to prepare any time – OR – it is one of those dishes you can prepare ahead and have ready if you are having a summer BBQ with family/friends.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill you can roast the peppers and onions in the oven and get the same results.
The onions caramelize and sweeten while they grill/roast which adds a richness to the ordinary plain Jane chicken.
- 1-2 large yellow or sweet onions
- 2 large red and/or yellow peppers
- 2-3 TBLS. olive oil (less or more to taste)
- 2-3 TBLS. balsamic vinegar (less or more to taste)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-6 boneless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 clove garlic chopped (or chopped shallot)
- 3 TBLS. fresh chopped parsley
- juice from ½ lemon
- 2 TBLS. grapeseed oil (or any neutral flavor oil you prefer)
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle of paprika
- Add the onions and peppers to a large bowl and toss with the oil and balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste. Place on a hot grill or roast the onions and peppers in an 425 degree oven.
- Grill/roast the vegetables approximately 20-40 minutes, turning often to prevent burning, cooking until the onions and peppers have softened and starting to brown and color. The actual cooking time will depend on your grill or oven temperatures. Our grilling time is 15 minutes and roasting time in my oven is about 40 minutes.
- Add the garlic, parsley, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper to a small bowl and whisk together for a marinade. Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts and chill for 15-30 minutes while the vegetables are cooking.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and place on the grill, turning once to cook on both sides.
- Place the cooked chicken breasts on the plate and top with the peppers and onions.
Serve your favorite side dish with this chicken. I made tri-color quinoa as the side and sometimes I make this gluten free roasted cauliflower.
You might also like this gluten free recipe for Quiona with Roasted Tomatoes and Grapes