Blueberry Muffins With Cinnamon Orange Sugar
is a simple muffin recipe bursting with fresh blueberries and topped with cinnamon orange sugar.
I like making muffins for a snack when life gets hectic and there’s no time to fuss with a recipe. Muffins can make your day a little sweeter from breakfast all the way to a late night snack.
We are a snack loving family and when I don’t have time to make something extra special muffins are my go-to.
I’ve been buying a lot of blueberries and with the last cup and a half of blueberries that were left over I added them to the muffins this week. The blueberries burst open while baking and made the muffins extra moist with lots of blueberry flavor.
The recipe is a simple muffin recipe and then I added a cinnamon orange sugar topping to dress them up a bit. You can also use frozen blueberries in this recipe if fresh are not available.
- 1 cup AP Flour
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 to 1½ cup fresh blueberries (you can use frozen berries)
- 2 TBLS. Coconut Palm Sugar (you can substitute your favorite sugar)
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- In a large bowl blend together the dry ingredients using a whisk until the both flours, sugar, salt and baking powder are well blended.
- In a small bowl mix the milk, oil and eggs until light and fluffly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula gently fold the ingredients until blended and then gently fold in the blueberries- try not to mix more than 15-20 seconds. The batter will be lumpy - do not continue to mix or the muffins become chewy.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tin about ⅔ full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes for full size muffins - OR bake 11 minutes for mini muffins.
- Mix together the sugar, orange zest and cinnamon in a small dish. Sprinkle the sugar on tops of the muffins while still warm.