We use cranberries in many dishes this time of year and there is always some leftover. Making these muffins is a great way to use up the last half cup of cranberry sauce.
The chunky cranberry sauce would be best but you can use the jelly style if that’s all you have.
This is really a basic muffin recipe with added fall spices for the flavors we crave this time of year.
Cranberry Filled Muffins
Recipe adapted from Cran Apple Muffin recipe in Taste Of Home magazine.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (low fat is o.k.)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or your preferred flavorless oil)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
For Cranberry Filling
- 1/2 cup chunky cranberry sauce (homemade or leftover, jelly style o.k. to use)
- grated orange peel (optional) I forgot to use it
For White Chocolate Drizzle
- 2 oz. of Bakers White Chocolate ( 2 squares)
- OR Make a Sugar Glaze with confectioners sugar and orange juice from the fresh orange
I decided to drizzle white chocolate over top for a festive muffin to serve for a holiday brunch. You can always make a sugar glaze which is easy to do if you prefer.
Prepare your homemade cranberry sauce in advance and use a little of it to add to these yummy muffins for a special Holiday breakfast.