Farro Vegetable Soup
is a hearty and healthy vegetarian soup for any day or when the weather is cold and blustery.
I was going to make mushroom barley soup but when I was digging through my cabinet I only had farro and 3 packages of lentils. I think it’s time for list-making so I can be sure I have a stocked pantry for the colder months.
Today was a day I didn’t want to be cooking all afternoon. I wanted something quick and easy. This soup was just that, a sliced carrot, celery and mushrooms was all I needed.
I did need something to go with the soup so I made Cheddar Cheese Bites, very quick and easy to make. I’ve made them as an appetizer using bacon and cheddar cheese, recipe here – they are great for game day also.
I also like to make biscuits to go with my soups. Here is a quick and easy recipe for Cheddar Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits.
Several weeks ago I made ‘Farrotto’ which is a risotto style recipe that is on the Bob’s Red Mill Organic Farro package. It was really delish, but it took quite a while to cook and today I really didn’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen since I had other projects going on.
Lucky for me I recently bought Trader Joe’s 10 minute Farro. How could I pass it up? This 10 minute farro is what I used to make my farro vegetable soup. It is the epitome of a “Quick and Easy” recipe that is healthy and delicious.
I’ll be using Bob’s Red Mill farro to make another delicious risotto – I mean ‘farrotto’. Then I’ll be adding farro to homemade chicken soup next time it’s on my menu.
Farro Vegetable Soup
This recipe is based on Trader Joe's 10 minute Farro. You can use any farro you can find in your market. Cook the farro according to the package directions for soup and add in your favorite vegetables.
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 2 carrots sliced 1 small onion or shallot diced
- 1 TBLS. avocado oil (or canola oil)
- 4-6 large Crimini mushrooms cut in slices and then cut slices in half
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4-6 large Crimini mushrooms cut in slices & then cut slices in half
- 2 cans 15 oz. vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 TBLS. chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a 3½ quart pot, heat the oil and add in the onion or shallot. Cook until translucent, approx. 3 minutes. Stir in the celery and carrots and cook with the onions for a minute or two.
- Add in the farro and mushrooms along with the vegetable broth and water.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with parsley and serve with a hearty bread or the cheddar cheese puffs.
O.K. so you might be asking “what is Farro?”. Briefly, Farro is an ancient grain of hard wheat that was grown in the Fertile Crescent in western Asia. The Fertile Crescent is a crescent shaped piece of land that lies between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers where the soil was fertile with a moderate climate conducive for agriculture thousands of years ago.
Farro is a grain often used in Italy. It has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture. You will find farro in pearled or semi-pearled varieties. The semi-pearled variety has more nutrients; the pearled variety is processed more and some of the nutrients are lost. Farro contains fiber, B vitamins and manganese and zinc. Farro is NOT gluten free though it does have less gluten than other wheat grains.
You can read more about Farro on Bob’s Red Mill.