Sweet and Sour Chicken
A quick and easy weeknight meal is better than take out.
These days there are so many delicious dishes to choose from on the menu. Now I always order something different, though the one constant is that I always enjoy something sweet with the savory dish.
Two of the sweet items that call out to me are honey glazed walnuts or anything with oranges.
Today I thought I would make my chicken dinner stand out and make an Asian style Sweet and Sour Chicken using my homemade sweet and sour sauce – the recipe is here.
This is one of those recipes that came together as I was making it. It was easy to do and it can also be made in the crock pot if you prefer to set it and forget it.
This dish is now one of my ‘winner winner’ chicken dinners.
To get a head start make the Sweet and Sour sauce before you begin. It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish. You can make it anytime you have a chance and it will keep for about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge – the recipe is HERE!
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1-2 cups fresh pineapple cubed
- 3 TBLS. flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 TBLS. soy sauce
- 2 TBLS. sesame oil (or your favorite light oil)
- 3 scallions chopped
- zest from 1 orange
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Place the flour in a large plastic bag and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch strips and add them to the flour mixture.
- Cut up the peppers into 2 inch cubes. Cut up the pineapple if not already cut.
- Heat a large saute pan on medium/high heat and add in the sesame oil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add in the peppers and saute for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until they start to soften. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the floured chicken pieces to the pan (add a little more oil if needed), shake off excess flour first, and cook a few minutes on each side - just until lightly browned.
- Add in the peppers and the pineapple and ½ cup of sweet and sour sauce to the chicken and cover. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in soy sauce and, if needed, add in more sweet & sour sauce and heat through.
- Add to dinner plate and add the orange zest and chopped scallions.
- Serve with brown rice.
If the slow cooker/crock pot appeals to you follow the recipe, just brown the chicken first. Then add everything into the crock pot including half the sweet and sour sauce and cook for 3 hours on high. Serve the sweet and sour sauce on the side to be added to your dish at the table.
You Might Also Enjoy These Delicious Recipes that are Better Than Take-Out: