Cauliflower Bread Slices
for my low carb, gluten free, vegetarian style grilled cheese sandwich.
After a few minutes of ‘googling’ I found a recipe that seemed easy enough. I definitely was surprised with the results on the first try.
This recipe is adapted from Tess Ward, the Yes Chef. I always keep my recipes basic for my picky family so I just used the basic ingredients needed for a ‘plain’ bread.
My best TIP for a successful cauliflower bread is to be sure all the moisture has been removed from the cauliflower. This takes just a little patience which turns into a successful recipe.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower cut into florets (yields approx. 3-4 cups of cauliflower rice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and liberally grease it with olive oil. Set aside. (I used non-stick cooking spay and it worked fine)
- Add the cauliflower florets to food processor and blend until they are a fine crumb - only takes 20 seconds or so,
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a low-medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice (about three cups) and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring continually or until soft but DO NOT let it brown.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, add egg, shredded mozzarella & salt and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Use approx. ¼ cup of mixture for each slice, spread evenly shaping into a bread slice on the baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. I turned each slice over and baked another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for ten minutes, then gently peel them off the parchment paper.
What I liked about this recipe is that it was almost foolproof, which most often is not realistic when making a new recipe. The quick cooking of the riced cauliflower in the frying pan saved hours of air-drying time. This was a ‘good thing’ since I like to see results ASAP.
I made a Grilled Avocado Tomato and Pepper Jack Cheese sandwich on cauliflower ‘bread’.
I was surprised how terrific the sandwich was, the spicy pepper jack cheese added a punch of flavor to this low carb, gluten free grilled cheese sandwich to celebrate #NationalGrilledCheeseMonth.