Making an apple crumb pie is very easy especially if you have leftover homemade cookies to make the pie crust and the crumb topping. This quick and easy recipe can be made anytime at all.
Rather than using a traditional pie crust I decided to make a cookie crust to save time. I also decided to make individual, or you could say, personal size pies since I only had a few apples left.
After making these delicious Almond Butter Cookies I thought these would make a great crust for a pie since they were a little bit on the healthy side of the scale.
If you follow me you might know that I’m always looking for a healthier option on old standard desserts. Since I’m a dessert lover and my family loves snacks it has become my mission make homemade treats that I know are a little healthier than store bought. I’m always hoping that the dessert turns out so delicious know one will ever know that it’s made with a ‘pinch of healthy’.
Apple Crumb Pie Recipe
I made two 4 inch pies, but you can easily make this using a regular pie plate maybe adding one more apple.
- 2-4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced (or use your favorite type of apple)
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1-2 tbls. cornstarch
- 2 tbls. coconut sugar (taste for sweetness & add either less or more as desired)
For Crumb Crust
- 12 crushed almond butter cookies
- 3 tbls. melted butter (I use Smart Balance)
For Crumb Topping
- 4 crushed almond butter cookies
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1-2 tbls. butter
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- Taste for sweetness, adding a tablespoon of coconut sugar based on desired sweetness)
When I cut a slice of pie I just can’t resist topping it with a scoop of ice cream. Don’t fret though, you don’t need ice cream, you can serve this Apple Crumb Pie with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar to anyone and everyone who loves dessert.
HERE ARE A FEW MORE APPLE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
PLEASE SHARE &