I made individual, or you could say, personal size pies since I only had a few apples left.
I actually made this pie back in May when I made these delicious Almond Butter Cookies. I mentioned in the post that I was going to be sharing my pie but “life took over” and I never got around to writing the post and sharing it until now.
If you follow me you might know that I’m always looking for a healthier option on old standard desserts.
I’m a dessert lover and my family loves snacks so my mission is to come up with a homemade treat that I know is a little healthier than store bought.
Hence, my pie crust and crumb topping for the apple crumb pie is made using the almond butter cookie crumbs. This is so good know one will ever know that it’s made with a ‘pinch of healthy’.
- 2-4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- 1-2 tbls. cornstarch
- 2 tbls. brown sugar (taste for sweetness & add either less or more as desired)
- 12 crushed almond butter cookies
- 3 tbls. melted butter
- 4 crushed almond butter cookies
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- 1-2 tbls. butter
- ¼ cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- Taste for sweetness, adding a tablespoon of brown sugar based on desired sweetness)
- In a medium bowl add the crush cookies and butter and stir together with a fork until the crumbs come together in a ball. If too dry add another teaspoon of butter and continue to blend or if too sticky add a little more crumbs. Spread crumbs into the bottom and a little bit up the sides of the pie plate and set aside.
- Slice apples and add to a large bowl and stir in the lemon juice.
- Add to the apples the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch and brown sugar and stir well.
- Spoon the apples into the prepared pie plate with the cookie crust.
- Into a small bowl add the cookie crumbs, oats, butter and nuts. Mix together to get a crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of the apple filling.
- Bake pie 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
When I cut a slice of pie I just can’t resist topping it with a scoop of ice cream. Don’t fret though, you don’t need ice cream, you can serve this Apple Crumb Pie with just a sprinkle of powdered sugar to anyone and everyone who loves dessert.
Here is the recipe for Almond Butter Cookies