Lentil Vegetable Soup
ready to warm you up on a blustery winter day.
My version of this delicious and hearty lentil soup is vegetarian and perfect for meatless Monday.
When time is short on a very hectic day making soup can be a life saver. This recipe for lentil vegetable soup has a bonus, you can make it in advance and have it ready when you are.
During the winter when the weather is unpredictable and we are unable to get out to shop our fridge might be a little bare. You can use whatever vegetables you have – frozen, leftovers, or maybe a vegetable or two that is not enough to make anything but it’s great to add to soup.
Growing up lentil soup was a staple on my mom’s menu. It was a basic and simple lentil soup and as I remember she didn’t add vegetables but she always added pasta. Sometimes it would be elbow macaroni, and my grandmother’s favorite add in was broken spaghetti or sometimes she would add in white rice.
Making this soup is easy and to give it lots of flavor saute onions and garlic, along with diced carrots and celery. Then add in the rinsed lentils and the liquid.
Cook for approximately 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. There you have it, a ‘make in advance meal’ when our schedule is hectic and dinner will be ready in no time flat!
- 2 tbls. avocado oil (or your favorite light cooking oil)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup lentils (rinsed)
- 3 quarts of vegetable stock (you can use half water and half stock - add bouillon for additional flavor if needed)
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- pinch of thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups of elbow macaroni (1 cup for 2 servings - 2 cups for 4-5 servings)
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Saute the onions just until they begin to soften, then add in the carrots and celery. Cook about 3-5 minutes and then add in the garlic. Stir well and cook another 2-4 minutes stirring often so nothing sticks or starts to burn.
- Now stir in the lentils and cook a couple of minutes and then add in the liquid stirring well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer and add in the thyme if using
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a soup bowl add a scoop of cooked pasta and then ladle in the soup.
This lentil vegetable soup is delicious as is but if you wish you can add chicken or beef stock if that’s your preference. A recipe that is flexible can be very economical. You can use your pantry and fridge ingredients without having to run out to buy special items.
Serve the soup with garlic bread, crackers or if you have the time to bake you can make these Homemade Cheddar Cheese Biscuits.