Banana Cream Parfaits
easy to make no bake, dairy free dessert for any occasion and a delicious snack while watching the game.
I do love chocolate but I had a few too many very ripe bananas so I decided to make banana cream parfaits.
I originally thought I would make a pie but as I was putting together my ingredients I thought a parfait would be a great party dessert and I’m so glad I made the change.
I’m always looking to make my desserts a little healthier for no other reason than to feel a little less guilty when eating a sweet treat and to try to keep on track with dietary restrictions put in place by our doctors.
I made the banana cream using cashews and a little coconut milk. For the sugar I used my homemade blend of stevia and truvia powdered sugar for sweetness. Then I did the unthinkable and used a little cool whip for the topping – I really wanted to dress up the parfaits since they will be going to a party. For a true vegan and dairy free dessert you can make your own coconut whipped cream.
All you need for this dairy free recipe is raw cashews that have been soaked, bananas, coconut or almond milk, powdered sugar, granola, and a little something for the topping. The total time for this recipe was about 30 minutes – maybe a bit longer if you’re like me and get distracted along the way – but it’s really an easy recipe.
The first thing to do is prepare the cashews – they need to be soaked for a few hours or you can boil them for 10 minutes and let them cool so that they blend into a smooth creaminess. I’m always last minute Charley, I just decided to make these parfaits, so I boiled the cashews while getting everything else together for my prep.
Banana Cream Parfaits
You can easily make this parfait using store bought banana pudding for a SUPER EASY dessert. Also you can eliminate the cashews for a nut free dessert and instead fold in non dairy topping to the pureed banana for a mousse like consistency. Follow the directions from there.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 2-3 large ripe bananas
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups of granola (the amount of granola will depend on how much you use and the size of the glasses used)
- Soak the cashews at least 3 hours or you can boil them for 10 minutes, drain them and let them cool. You can place them in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- When the cashews are cool, place them in a blender with the bananas, lemon juice, powdered sugar and just a little of the milk and blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick you can add a little more milk. Keep blending until very smooth.
- Remove the cream from the blender and place into a freezer safe bowl and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- While the cream is in the freezer lay out the glasses and place a layer of granola in the bottom of each glass.
- When the cream has firmed up remove from the freezer and scoop a spoonful of banana cream into each glass.
- Top with another layer of granola then add a second layer of banana cream, topping with more granola.
- Add a dollop of whipped topping to the top of each glass and garnish with granola and fresh strawberries.
These easy to make Banana Cream Parfaits are also very “Oscar Party” worthy.
This is also a terrific dessert to prepare if you are planning a baby or bridal shower. It would look so pretty on the dessert buffet.