Peach Almond Pastry Braid
is made with sweet summer peaches and only takes a total of 45 minutes from start to finish to make dessert.
You can make this impressive looking peach almond pastry braid dessert in no time. Have you every shied away from a recipe thinking it looked too complicated or time consuming? Here I am to spread the news that this is easier to make than you think.
It will only take you a few minutes to prepare the peaches and with the ease of using pre-made puff pastry you will want to make this dessert all the time.
Recently I bought a lot of peaches so I needed another recipe, something a little different so I decided it was time to jump in and give this braided pastry a try. As I was browsing for a recipe I saw this video with easy instructions on how to make the braid. Watch the video, I think you’ll be convinced to make this dessert.
All you really need to make this peach almond pastry braid is 4-6 peaches (depending on size), brown sugar, slivered almonds (or whatever nuts you prefer or you can leave them out), butter, flour or tapioca, egg wash and one sheet of ready made puff pastry.
Preparing this dessert is very easy, slice the peaches, add to a bowl with the sugar, half the almonds and the flour or tapicoa which helps keep the peach juices from running. Roll out the pastry sheet and slice the edges as instructed in the video, spread out the prepared peaches in the center of the pastry sheet, fold over the strips and bake for 25 minutes. DONE!
How can you resist this beautiful and delicious dessert to serve special guests, or just because it’s a weekday and you have way too many peaches (or your favorite fruit)? Any day is the right day to make this peach almond pasty braid for dessert.
- 4-6 fresh peaches, peeled and cut in slices.
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 tbls. tapicoa (or use AP flour)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbls. water
- 2 tbls. turbinado sugar or sanding sugar
- Add the sliced peaches to a bowl, and stir in the sugar, only half of the almonds, the flour and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- On a floured surface unfold one sheet of the pastry and roll it out into a rectangle approximately 14 x 12.
- Place the pastry sheet onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon the peach mixture lengthwise down the center of the pastry leaving a large border on both sides. You'll need the border to cut the pastry for the braid.
- Cut slits 1 inch apart from the 2 sides of the pastry rectangle to within ½ inch of the peach mixture. Starting at one end, fold the pastry strips over the peach mixture, alternating sides, to cover the peach mixture. Brush the pastry with the egg wash. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Place the pastry onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let the pastry cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes.