Easy Basic Tabbouleh Salad Recipe
is traditionally made with bulgur wheat and a few basic ingredients of parsley, mint, lemon and olive oil for the dressing then add fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. Can also be made Gluten Free, see below.
It’s funny how music and food stirs up emotions and brings back memories. Hopefully, most of them are wonderful as Ina’s recipe brought back memories of the summer vacations I spent with my young family and friends way back in the ’80’s.
Our family style entertainment was a weekly “pot luck” dinner together. We would brainstorm to come up with a menu and we each chose a favorite ‘traditional’ recipe we would make. Sharing the history or story of our recipes was always a fun evening. Even the kids would join in the conversation, they have a way of spinning a story. Laughs and delicious food with good friends was one of the best times.
One of the traditional recipes during that summer was the tabbouleh salad my friend Karen made which I immediately just loved. The mint added to the salad was a new combination for me back then but I loved all the combined flavors and the fresh tomatoes and cucumbers.
I haven’t made tabbouleh in the last few years so when I recently saw Ina making it I thought this would be a perfect summer salad to introduce to my burger and hot dog crowd :).
I’m sharing my friend Karen’s tabbouleh recipe as I remember it simply made with parsley, mint and the bulgur wheat dressed with a basic lemon olive oil dressing.
I’ve added a gluten free recipe made with quinoa. This easy basic tabbouleh salad recipe is a great vegetarian option when planning a menu for a crowd.
- 1 cup Bulgur Wheat, cooked according to package directions
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx. 2 fresh lemons)
- ¼ to ½ cup Olive Oil (use as much or as little as you prefer)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups English cucumber, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded fresh carrot
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- The same ingredients as above from Lemon Juice to Salt and Pepper.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in 1 cup of uncooked bulgur wheat and a pinch of salt. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain any excess liquid, fluff, set aside to chill.
- In a small bowl whisk lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl add in the cooled bulgur wheat, the parsley, mint, tomatoes and cucumber and shredded carrot. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the lemon, olive oil dressing over the salad, stir well and let sit for a few minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Cook the Quinoa according to directions. When cooked drain excess liquid, add to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Set aside to chill.
- Prepare the recipe continuing with Steps 2 thru 5 Above.
Why do I luv this recipe? — it’s easy — uses our fresh garden ingredients — and it’s definitely flexible. It’s also a vegetarian option when planning for a crowd.
Either way, this is a delicious healthy recipe where you can substitute more or less of any ingredients you and your family will enjoy best.