Rainbow Cutout Butter Cookies Air Fryer Recipe
makes a small batch of butter cookies in 20 minutes.
This quick and easy Rainbow Cutout Butter Cookies air fryer recipe will fill the cookie jar this month for our St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
The one thing I enjoy about making a small batch of specialty cookies in the air fryer is the quick and easy prep and baking time. The kids enjoyed making several different shapes and taste testing them. In about 20 minutes we had a batch of cookies made.
When we realized we can have a batch of cookies in 20 minutes, a new day was born. Don’t ask, we made about 6 different shapes, ate way too many cookies, and had lots of fun making a mess decorating the rainbows.
The possibilities for decorating these air fryer butter cookies are endless. Melt a little chocolate and dip the cooled cookies, then add colored sprinkles, always a favorite. Also you can make a basic glaze and sprinkle with sugar. Imagination is all you need for this fun afternoon snack.
Choosing one shape was difficult but after all the taste testing the only cookies left were the rainbow shapes – Done!
Decorating the rainbow shaped cookies was a little bit of a project, but we muddled through and finally had a few cookies left that were photo worthy!
This is a very easy rainbow cutout butter cookies air fryer recipe, mix all in one bowl with wooden spoon, chill for an hour, then roll out and cut in desired shapes. This is a fun cookie to #fillthecookiejar.
When the cookies cooled I made a small batch of royal icing and added the colors I needed in small batches to make my rainbow.
- ½ cup Monk Fruit (you can use your preferred sugar or substitution)
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup AP Flour
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- In medium bowl add the sugar and butter and stir vigorously using a wooden spoon until blended.
- Stir in the egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract until well blended. Then sprinkle in the flour and stir until just blended.
- Place the dough on to a piece of plastic wrap and pat into a square, securely wrap the plastic wrap around the dough and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Cut a piece of foil to fit into the fryer basket leaving a ¼ inch border. When ready to bake preheat the air fryer according to manufacturers directions.
- Gently roll out the dough and with cookie cutters cut out desired shapes.
- Spray the sheet of foil with non-stick cooking spray. Place the cookies on the sheet and spay the tops of the cookies with spray.
- Bake the cookies 5 to 8 minutes, time depends on the air fryer you use.
- Continue this until the cookies are baked.
- Decorate as desired.
Cookie Baking With Kids TIP:
Plan in advance your cookie decorating theme that will be very easy for the younger kids in the 4-8 yrs. range to manage. Dipping and sprinkle sprinkling is the easier type of decorating. Trying to do the different colors of the rainbow was a bit of a challenge, though they look so cute, this might be easier for the older kids (10 yrs.+) to try. It can be a little difficult to get the icing spaced on the cookies, a little bit of a steady hand helps.