Homemade Strawberry Dairy Free Ice Cream
made with coconut milk and fresh fruit to welcome spring, although I do not usually need a special season to make ice cream.
Homemade strawberry dairy free ice cream only needs 4 ingredients. Then just add everything to the ice cream machine and in 20 minutes you have a delicious soft serve dairy free ice cream.
I know that there are no substitutions for a traditional custard based ice cream recipe when you are looking for a rich and creamy homemade ice cream. Sometimes life throws us a curve or two requiring changes to our diets. It is with pleasure that I spend my days in the kitchen experimenting to make a healthier spin on desserts, I say with a chuckle, what else would I do!.
Coconut milk is a healthy substitute for traditional dairy especially when you want to make a special dessert for someone with a food allergy or you are changing up the variety of sweet treats you usually make. I’m always switching up my desserts.
For this Homemade Strawberry dairy free ice cream recipe I made (see photo above) Homemade Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk needs to be made in advance to chill. To save time I usually make this in the morning and chill it so that everything is on hand when I’m ready to make the ice cream.
This recipe is definitely easy, and worth a try even if you choose to use your preferred non-dairy milk. I will be giving this a try with almond milk for my next ice cream making adventure.
- 8-10 oz. homemade Sweetened Condensed Dairy Free Milk (recipe link in post)
- 14 oz. full fat Can of Coconut Milk, chilled
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- zest from fresh orange (optional)
- Make the sweetened condensed milk in advance and refrigerate until well chilled.
- When ready to make the ice cream, add all the ingredients except the orange zest to the ice cream machine.
- Churn until ready, scrape into a freezer container and add in the orange zest if using.
- You can serve immediately for a soft serve ice cream or freeze for about 2 - 3 hours before serving.
- If ice cream is frozen longer, you may need to remove from freezer 20 minutes in advance.
To add a little more sweetness you can make a fresh berry compote to drizzle over the ice cream.
The orange zest and strawberries were a nice addition to the coconut milk for this homemade strawberry dairy free ice cream sweet treat. With only the honey in the homemade sweetened condensed milk this ice cream is not overly sweet. Top the ice cream with a fresh berry compote making an ordinary dessert special.