Easy Orange Chicken Recipe Is Better Than Takeout
for a weeknight dinner with lots of delicious flavors can be ready in less than 30 minutes. Prepare rice and veggies early in the day and quickly cook up the chicken when everyone is ready for dinner.
If you follow me you know my mantra is quick and easy. Dessert to Main Meals – I know I reversed the menu – but dessert has always been my first thought (that’s a story for another day). This delicious easy orange chicken recipe I recently made has been a hit.
Inspiration has been coming to me from all the videos that pop up everywhere. Sometimes I have no idea what to make for dinner and then I see a video and think, ‘that’s it!’ dinner tonight. I shout out many thanks to all the creative bloggers out there who are helping me get dinner on the table every now and then.
It just so happens that there are quite a few orange chicken recipe videos. The first time I made this recipe it took way too long and of course I made a mess. So with a little reviewing of several videos I came up with this easy orange chicken recipe better than takeout to keep the quick and easy recipe movement going.
With only a few basic ingredients needed to make the sauce, the prep for this easy orange chicken recipe is quick. First, I zested, peeled and cut a fresh orange into sections which added the real orange flavor I was looking for.
To make this recipe even easier, I cut up the chicken breast in large cubes and added them to a plastic baggie with cornstarch. Shake the baggie so that the cornstarch coats the chicken.
Depending on your preferred style of cooking, this recipe can be cooked in 3 different ways. I used the stove top cooking method if you love using the slow cooker this recipe is perfect, set it and forget it, and the instant pot will be great for quick & easy.
Flexibility is always something I look for in a recipe and this better than take out quick easy orange chicken recipe gives you that flexibility along with adding in your family’s preferred sides. So, whatever works in your kitchen let’s get cooking.
- 1-2 cups Brown Rice (or your preferred rice)
- Steamed Green Beans (or your preferred vegetable)
- 1-2 oranges, zested, peeled and cut in segments
- ½ - ⅔ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ - ⅔ cup orange marmalade sauce
- 2-4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp grated ginger (optional or use less or more based on your preference)
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 or 2 scallions chopped (for garnish)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 - 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- Combine BBQ sauce, orange marmalade, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger if using, in a saucepan and simmer for 5–10 minutes and set it aside.
- Cook rice and vegetables and set aside.
- Zest then peel an orange and cut into segments, set aside.
- Cut up the chicken breast into cubes and add to a large plastic bag with 2 tablespoons of flour and shake the bag to coat all the chicken pieces with the flour.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken and saute for 3–5 minutes on each side.
- Add the cooked chicken to the prepared sauce and stir to coat the chicken, heat up a for a minute to infuse the flavors.
- Serve with rice and a side of veggies (green beans or sugar snap peas) and garnish with green onions.
This Easy Orange Chicken Recipe better than takeout is a great weeknight meal. Early in the day you can cut up the orange while the rice & veggies are cooking and refrigerate.
You might also want to make with the kids a few fortune cookies which can be made a few days in advance.
At the end of the busy day when you are ready to make dinner, all you need is 30 minutes at the most for a delicious dinner.