An easy to make “rustic pie” dessert, needs only 1 pie crust and is a dessert you can make any day or for every special occasion.
A Cherry Galette sounds fancy but it’s simply a tart with hand folded edges that does not need a special pan. All you need is fruit and a pie crust.
Fruit in a pie crust has many names — Tart, Galette or Crostata, Turnover, Cobbler, Clafoutis and the classic fruit Pie.
I always remember my mother’s homemade cherry pie when I was growing up and to this day I enjoy almost anything made with cherries.
Remembering mom’s pie, I decided to try to make her proud and bake a cherry pie.
Or so I thought until I saw a recipe for a cherry Clafoutis. It looked so delicious I had to make it. That is until I saw a picture of a Galette that looked equally delicious.
Though most of these recipes are relatively easy to prepare, I wanted to make something that didn’t take a lot of prep time.
It looks so easy to make, so I’m going to give it my one-two, easy to do, and make a Galette. I made this pie crust recipe HERE, or you can use pre-made packaged pie crust.
TIP: If using frozen cherries the cherries may have a lot of liquid. Drain cherry juice into a small bowl and set the juice aside. Make a slurry with the juice by adding flour to the liquid and stir well. Add this to the cherries which will help to thicken the juice. You don’t want to add to much liquid with the fruit as it will make the pie crust soggy.
You can also use cherry pie filling, which makes this recipes very quick and easy!Print
Easy to Make Cherry Galette is a ‘rustic pie’ for any day or for special occasions.
This rustic pie uses only 1 pie crust, add whatever you choose to the center of the dough and fold up the sides of the pie dough. Easy Holiday Dessert you can also make any day.
- Prep Time: 12-15 min.
- Cook Time: 35-45 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups of pitted cherries sliced (or use frozen or canned)
- 2 TBLS. sugar
- Pinch of Nutmeg (optional)
- 1 tsp. Kirsch (optional)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Butter for topping fruit
- Several cherries sliced in half for topping the Galette
- 1 egg, beaten
- Turbinado Sugar for garnish
- 1 pie crust – homemade or use pre-made crust
1. Roll out the pie crust and lay flat on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
2. Mix the first six ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to blend the flavors. Fill the center of the crust with the sliced cherry filling leaving a 2 inch border around the pie crust, then add a few dabs of butter on top of the fruit filling.
3. Fold the edges of the crust over the filling, pleating the crust as you go around the filling.
4. Brush the top of folded pie crust with egg wash, and sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the crust.
5. Bake in a 350 degree over for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned.
NOTE: For a super quick and easy dessert recipe you can use canned cherry pie filling.
Keywords: Cherry, pie, dessert, galette, crostata, one crust pie
Cool and serve this delicious and very easy to make Cherry Galette with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and chocolate shavings. Make it any time, it’s easier than you think!