I know the weather has been Hot! Hot! Hot!, but I turned up the oven to 425 degrees and made these pepperoni snacks. I call them Pepperoni Diamonds because I cut them on the diagonal, but they are like a pepperoni sandwich or pocket. This is a great little appetizer if you’re having any kind of gathering.
These really hit the spot when the kids came back from the beach and we hadn’t yet lit the grill for dinner. Lucky for me I was in the mood for cooking that day or I would have had a hungry crowd on my hands.
- 1 Pizza dough
- 1/4 lb. Sliced Pepperoni
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 TBLS sesame seeds (optional)
- 1. Cut the pizza dough in half. You’ll need a bottom and a top. Roll out each half to fit the size of your pan. I used an 11×14 cookie sheet with low sides.
- 2. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spread the olive oil over the paper. Place the dough on top of the oiled parchment paper.
- 3. Lay out the slices of the pepperoni on top of the dough. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the pepperoni.
- 4. Place the second half of the dough on top of the pepperoni and crimp the sides to seal the edges. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil to give it a nice color. You can sprinkle sesame seeds on top if you wish (I didn’t have any in my pantry at the time).
- 5. Bake at 425 degree oven for approximately 35-45 minutes, until browned on the bottom and top.
Slice in squares or on the diagonal in either bite size pieces or a little larger if your prefer.
These can be made earlier in the day or a day in advance if that fits your schedule.
These can be served at room temperature, however if you make them in advance and have kept them in the fridge you can heat them up just until warm before serving.