Does Size Matter?
Have you shopped for wine and noticed that there are several bottle sizes on the shelves? Early on when I was very young and started entertaining I ventured into a liquor store to buy liquor and wine for my party.
I was so young I didn’t know a thing about anything! Who knew? there were different sized bottles of liquor and wine.
Today there is a lot of information about wine to keep us in the know but sometimes we can be overwhelmed when it comes to buying wine for parties. This information can assist with your purchases and hopefully save you money as well.
These are just a few of the most popular bottle sizes you will find in your wine shop. There are many other size bottles which you might see displayed in restaurants, but I’ll save that for another post.
Split or half bottle is .325ml.
Standard wine bottle is .750ml.
Magnum is 1.5 liters which is equal to 2 standard bottles.
Double Magnum is 3 liters equal to 4 standard bottles
Double Magnum is also called a Jeroboam for Champagne.
Jeroboam is 4.5 liters is in a Bordeaux shaped bottle equal to 6 bottles.
When you are purchasing wine for a large party, it is recommended that the largest bottle you purchase is the Magnum.
- The breakdown for buying the perfect size:
- If you only want one glass of wine the split is perfect.
- For an intimate dinner party for 2 to 6 the standard bottle will suffice, though you might want to buy 2 bottles depending on your menu.
- If you are having a party of 10 or more and serving buffet style the Magnum can be a good choice especially if you are serving only one red wine and one white wine.
- If you are thinking about buying the Double Magnum, keep in mind that the larger bottles can be difficult to open. For that large party an experienced bartender serving your guests might be the way to go, however, it might be more than your budget allows.
Keep in mind that the large bottles cost more to produce and bottle the wine, making the cost per glass more than the cost per glass in a standard size bottle. Size does matter when you are on a budget.
When shopping for a large party, discuss your needs with the manager of your wine store. They will be able to assist you with purchasing the proper amount of wine and may also refund you for any wine you did not open.
Here is more information on setting up for a party.