Have you ever thought about onion soup what makes it French?
ONION SOUP WHAT MAKES IT FRENCH?
French Onion Soup is what I always order when ever I see it on a menu. Though I often wondered why it’s always titled ‘French Onion Soup’.
I haven’t had time to do my research on onion soup, what makes it French? until now. It’s quite simple, beef stock is the key to making a traditional ‘French’ onion soup.
Generally, onion soup recipes specify that the onions should be cooked slowly, becoming caramelized. Brandy or sherry is added at the end. The soup is then topped with a slice of bread.
For the gratinéed version, the slice of bread is topped with cheese, then broiled or baked. The onion soup is immediately served in the bowl or ramekin in which it was broiled.
Today when I decided to make something warm and comforting it was quite cold out, but I wanted to make something really easy and fast. I spent most of my weekend cleaning up the grout dust after having my bathroom re-grouted. What a mess…….!!!!! I don’t know what I was thinking, or NOT thinking, I didn’t cover anything so you can imagine how thick the dust was on everything.
I was so tired from all that extra curricular activity that I really didn’t want to spend unnecessary hours in the kitchen making dinner. But we had to eat, no? ‘Oui’, of course’ said hubby. A quick soup would do it.
A pantry staple, I always have lots of sweet onions in the fridge so I decided French Onion Soup would do the trick. I bought Gruyère which I think is the best cheese to use for onion soup. I’m not a fan of the melted rubbery mozzarella on this soup.
Onion Soup What Makes It French
An easy Onion Soup recipe and What Makes It French? It’s really all in the rich beef stock. This Onion Soup What Makes It French is an easy and flexible to make on a chilly fall/winter day.
- Prep Time: 10-12 min.
- Cook Time: 35-45 min.
- Total Time: 40-50 min.
- Yield: 2-3 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large sweet onions sliced
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1-2 tbs. butter
- 2 tsp. flour
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-2 tsp. Sherry or Brandy (optional)
- 4 baguette slices
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in stock pot and saute onions. After about 5 minutes stir in the flour until it cooks into the onions – this just takes a few stirs.
- Continue to let the onions saute until they are translucent and tender but have not melted. This takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on the amount of onions and the size of the pot.
- Stir in the beef broth and simmer covered for about 10 minutes. Then add the sherry or brandy if desired. Continue to simmer another 5-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime slice the baguettes and grate the cheese while the soup is simmering.
- When the soup is ready pour into bowls, add a slice of baguette to each bowl and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese melts – approximately 10 minutes.
Keywords: Soup, Dinner, Onion Soup, French Onion Soup, easy recipe,
Though I’ve been making onion soup, what makes it French? this way for many years, this is a very flexible soup so you can be as creative as you wish. Remember though that Onion Soup, what makes it French is to use a hearty beef stock and top with Gruyère.
However, do not be shy if you would really enjoy a vegetarian onion soup. To be honest, I more often make this quick and easy Vegetarian Onion Soup that is delicious for all of our vegetarian friends.
Recipe & Photos Updated 2018