A delicious fall favorite to add to your holiday menu is Risotto with walnuts and cranberries.
Risotto is one of my favorite side dish recipes to make. I must say though it did take me a while to master making a decent risotto. Sticky, heavy risotto is not appetizing so I was determined to get it right.
Quick, easy and flexible recipes are always on my menu. I sometimes remake recipes thinking I can cut back on the time, but risotto is not one of those recipes. However, it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to make risotto. If you have not yet tried to make risotto, do give it a try when you have a chance
Since risotto is so versatile I change up the add-in ingredients. A delicious seasonal recipe, you can make risotto all year to fit the occasion. Risotto with walnuts and cranberries is one of my favorite recipes to add to a holiday menu. The sweetness from the cranberries and the crunch from the walnuts is a perfect combination. This delicious risotto recipe dresses up an ordinary weeknight dinner as well!
Oh, did I mention that delicious risotto with walnuts and cranberries is a vegetarian option? Yes, it’s a great addition to your holiday buffet menu.
To get started, here’s the recipe!Print
Risotto with Walnuts and Cranberries
Risotto with walnuts and cranberries is a delicious Fall Season recipe to add to your Thanksgiving menu. ‘Tis the cranberry season and making a cranberry risotto with walnuts adds crunch. No worries though, you can leave out the nuts if allergies are an issue. You can add in chopped apples with the cranberries.
- Prep Time: 5-8 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30-40 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1 cup arborio rice (cooked according to the package directions)
- You can also substitute vegetable stock or apple cider for some of the liquid on the pkg. directions
- 1/2-3/4 cup dried cranberries or use fresh cranberries (add according to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tbls. butter additional
- Cook the arborio rice according to the package directions.
- When adding the liquid you can substitute apple cider or vegetable stock.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking add in dried cranberries OR fresh cranberries
- Stir to combine and continue to cook then add in 2 additional tablespoons of butter and stir well.
- If using, add chopped walnuts to the top of the risotto when ready to serve.
Keywords: risotto, cranberry walnut risotto, Thanksgiving recipe, fall side dish, vegetarian recipe
You can check out this recipe that I made using Lidia’s Risotto Recipe. Lidia’s recipe uses white wine, but when making this cranberry walnut risotto you can use apple cider in place of wine. The apple cider will add the sweetness and flavors you expect in a fall recipe.
Recipe & Photos Updated 2018