Sugar Donut Muffin Assortment
is an easy recipe to make with the kids. They can help decorate the muffins after they are baked.
This recipe is adapted from Lauren at CoffeeMuffins.com. When I read Lauren’s easy recipe I quickly turned on the oven and without hesitation I gathered together all the ingredients and pulled out my favorite mini muffin pan. I’d rather make my muffins mini size because it’s easier to control our over-indulging.
There are many ways to decorate muffins and make them irresistible and since I was already baking and making my usual mess in the kitchen, I decided to use everything I could find in my pantry to make a variety of muffins.
- ¾ cup sugar (I used Stevia In The Raw)
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup AP flour
- ¾ cup White Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¾ cup coconut milk (or use your preferred milk, low fat is o.k.)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup turbinado sugar or sugar in the raw + 1-2 TBLS. cinnamon
- 2 TBLS. butter melted
- In large bowl beat together the sugar and egg until light in color.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Pour this into the egg mixture and stir well to combine. Add in the oil, milk and vanilla extract and mix gently until all the flour is incorporated.
- Using a small cookie scoop add the batter to muffin cups.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Melt butter and set aside. In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- For powdered sugar topping, add the powdered sugar to a baggie. Place the hot muffins in the bag and shake to cover the donuts. When the donuts cool, shake additional powdered sugar on them.
- When Muffins are bakedn brush the muffin with melted butter and immediately place into the cinnamon sugar -- or top with sprinkles.
- You can make a sugar glaze - mix a little milk with powdered sugar and spread on cooled muffins. Serve with a side of jelly.
I will be making these wonderful sugar donut muffins on a regular basis. I started calling them my mini muffin bites. I was eating them in two bites as I was decorating them. Well, I had to make sure they tasted good before I passed them around — no?
I never did eat dinner that night.