Pizza Rustica Easter Meat Pie
Pizza Rustica Easter Meat Pie is a traditional Italian ‘pie’ that is filled with meats and cheeses and served during the Easter Season. It’a usually served as an appetizer, or a snack or side dish. You will need a pie crust for both the bottom and top of the pie. You can make your favorite pie dough recipe or use pre-packaged refrigerated dough.
- Prep Time: 20-25 min.
- Cook Time: 45-55 min.
- Total Time: 1 hr. 15 min.
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American/Italian
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1-2 TBLS. grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 cup of cubed mozzarella
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- FROM THE DELI DEPT.:
- 1/2″ thick slice of Genoa salami
- 1/2″ thick slice of ham
- 1/2″ thick slice of pepperoni
- 1/2″ thick slice provolone
- The next 2 items can be found individually packaged in the specialty section.:
- 3-4 thin slices prosciutto di Parma
- 3-4 thin slices sopressata
- Cut the deli meats and cheese slices into cubes and set aside in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl mix the ricotta, egg, grated cheese and pepper just until the egg is well blended.
- Chop the hard boiled egg and add it to the mixture with the remainder of the ingredients to the ricotta mixture. Stir gently just to combine the ingredients.
- Line a pie plate with the dough and fill with the mixture. Cover the mixture with the second pie dough and crimp sides.
- Brush top of pie crust with egg wash or milk and bake in 350 degree oven for 45-55 minutes.
This Pizza Rustica Meat Pie can be a flexible recipe. I often leave out the hard boiled egg, and the sopressata. Make this you family favorite by adding in everyone’s favorite ingredients. Enjoy! Happy Easter.
Keywords: Easter Pie, Pizza Rustica, Italian Meat Pie, appetizer