Paella is a great dish to prepare when you are busy with holiday preparations. Make it in one pot, prepare it earlier in the day and set it aside until you are ready to serve.
Here is my easy and quick paella recipe that takes almost no time at all. All you need is 15 minutes for prep and about 15 minutes to cook. Doesn’t sound right – but it really is that fast if you use the boil-in-bag rice (it’s ok to cheat when the holidays are stressing us out).
If you make this in advance prepare the dish up through Step #3. Leave Step #4 for 5-10 minutes just before you are ready to serve.
(Adapted from a recipe I found in Cooking Light a few years ago)
- 1 TBLS. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Spanish chorizo, sliced thin
- 2 packages Uncle Ben’s boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1/2 tsp. hot smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14 oz.)diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup peas
- 1-2 dozen mussels and/or clams scrubbed and debearded
- 8 large shrimp cleaned
- Heat a dutch oven over medium/high heat and add the oil. When oil is hot add the chorizo and saute 1 minute until lightly browned stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice to the pan and saute 1 minute stirring frequently then add the paprika and stir to blend with the rice for about 30 seconds.
- Add the water and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Add the peas and the seafood to the rice mixture. Cover and cook about 5 minutes until the mussels/clams open. (discard any unopened mussels/clams).
Enjoy this delicious and easy to prepare recipe this week with a loaf of crusty bread and a chilled Grenache Rose. The Grenache rose has vibrant red fruit flavors and a hint of spice which will go well with the smoky paprika and chorizo in this dish.