I don’t know about you but we have a fridge full of Holiday leftovers. They are just a little of this and a cup of that. I’m thinking a delicious makeover is necessary.
We had lots of cheeses and deli sliced salami, ham, and enough bread to make french toast for brunch to feed the neighborhood.
It makes no cents to throw away perfectly good food so I decided to do what my mom always did with her leftovers.
I had to dig deep into my childhood memories to think of all the foods I loved that my mom and grandmother would prepare.
When I was growing up there was always ricotta and mozzarella cheeses in our typical Italian fridge. Whenever we visited our Nonna my mom would take the leftover cheeses and she and my grandmother would make broiled ricotta sandwiches.
This weekend while everyone was hanging around looking for something to eat, the leftovers were tagged “IT” – I was going to use up the last of the holiday foods that we so enjoyed the first day but not so much now that the holiday has gone.
The open faced sandwiches are filling and delicious and of course you can add slices of salami, ham, or provolone or whatever else you may have. Everyone ended up with a custom sandwich made using their leftovers of choice.
Here’s a quick guide to making broiled sandwiches. This recipe will yield approximately 3-6 servings, depending on the size of the rolls and bread slices and how hungry everyone is. The guys wanted the whole roll, and the girls only wanted the sliced Italian bread.Print
Open-Faced Broiled Ricotta Cheese Sandwich
Open Face Broiled Ricotta Cheese Sandwich is made using the holiday leftovers in the fridge. Lay out the leftovers on the counter along with the rolls or bread and everyone can put together their favorite Holiday Leftover Sandwich. This can also be cooked in the air fryer.,
- Prep Time: 5-7 min.
- Cook Time: 2-5 min.
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
- 3-6 rolls halved or Italian bread slices
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- fresh chopped parsley and/or basil
- olive oil for drizzle
- salt and pepper to taste
- leftover slices of deli ham or salami (optional)
- Slice open the rolls or Italian bread.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the dry bread. Spread about 1/3 cup ricotta cheese on an average size roll (use as more or less, whatever your preference).
- Add a slice or two of the deli meat if you choose then spread a little more ricotta over that.
- Next sprinkle some grated cheeses on top of the ricotta, add chopped parsley/basil, salt and pepper, and drizzle of olive oil.
- Place roll on a foil covered baking sheet and broil for about 2-4 minutes, depending on your oven, just until the cheese melts and it starts to bubble. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- AIR FRYER DIRECTIONS:
- Place the prepared roll on a parchment sheet and place in the air fryer basket. Cook for 2 minutes. Depending on your air fryer, you may have to cook another minute or two.
Keywords: Grilled Ricotta Sandwich, leftovers, holiday leftovers, lunch, easy recipe