Mac and Cheese In Muffin Cups
Mac and Cheese Muffins is a great way to serve a large crowd. Make your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe, then just scoop into muffin liners. Bake and serve for any party, super bowl, also add to any buffet table.
- Prep Time: 5-7 min.
- Cook Time: 20-25 min.
- Total Time: 30-35 min.
- Yield: approx. 4 servings
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: American
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked (that’s about 1/2 box)
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. spicy mustard (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 10 oz. pkg. extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (or regular bread crumbs if you don’t have panko)
- 1 TBLS. butter to crumble on top of bread crumbs
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook the elbow macaroni as directed on the package, less one minute so that it’s al dente. The macaroni will continue to cook while baking.
- In medium size saucepan add the butter to the pan and then whisk in the flour until smooth for about 1 minute to cook the flour a little. Next gradually add the milk while stirring constantly until the milk and flour are well blended. Add in the mustard, nutmeg and salt and pepper and continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes on very low heat until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- When the milk has thickened whisk in 1/2 of the shredded cheese and stir well.
- Scoop up the mac and cheese with an ice cream scoop adding to paper muffin cups and place in a regular size muffin pan.
- Top the pasta with the remainder of the shredded cheese, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and add the butter across the top.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the top is lightly browned.
Keywords: individual servings, macaroni and cheese, party food mac 'n cheese, mac 'n cheese muffins