Easy to make blueberry breakfast muffins with streusel topping recipe for any day, weekend family get togethers or a special brunch.
Blueberry Breakfast Muffins With Streusel Topping Recipe
Blueberries are starting to line the shelves in the produce markets. They were calling me to make muffins.
Delicious blueberry breakfast muffins with streusel topping recipe is saying spring is here! This is a really easy muffin to make for Mother’s Day brunch. I added a streusel topping. Everyone enjoys the sweetness and the crunch of the streusel and it makes the muffins special.
I had a few challenges this time. Don’t know what happened, but my blueberries all fell to the bottom of the muffins. This can happen when the berries are larger and heavy, gravity happens.
So I made a compote with the blueberries and then I added a few additional whole berries when I was filling the muffin batter. The compote also gave the muffins more blueberry flavor.
Next I decided to make the muffins dairy free so I used coconut milk and Smart Balance butter alternative. Of course if you really love a rich and delicious muffin that’s o.k. as well. I’m just offering a dietary alternative for those who might need it.
There are 3 different components for the blueberry breakfast muffins with streusel topping recipe. I know, sounds like it might be too much trouble. But I promise, this is really very easy. It only takes less than 15 minutes to do the compote and streusel prep. The muffin batter is a breeze coming in at less than 10 minutes.Print
Blueberry Breakfast Muffins with Streusel Topping Recipe
Blueberry Breakfast Muffins with Streusel Topping recipe is a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe. Easy to make for any day or any special occasion.
- Prep Time: 10-15 min.
- Cook Time: 20-25 min.
- Total Time: 35-45 min
- Yield: 1 dozen
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup milk (alternative – coconut or almond milk)
- 2 TBLS. Avocado oil (or use vegetable oil)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or use brown sugar)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
- STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbls. cold butter
MAKE THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
- Streusel Topping Prep: In small bowl stir in flour, brown sugar and cinnamon until well blended. Cut in the butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place liners in a muffin pan.
- Using a large bowl, beat the milk, oil, and egg until well blended. Add in the 2 cups of flour, baking powder and sugar all at once and stir just until all the ingredients are well moistened. Batter will be lumpy — that’s ok — don’t overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- If you have a large cookie scoop, use it to add the batter to the muffin liners. Fill the muffin liners just a little over half way (about ⅔ full).
- With the cool compote, add in the ¼ cup blueberries and stir well. Add a teaspoon full of the compote to each muffin. With a skewer or knife swirl in the compote and berries.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the streusel topping to each muffin top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the muffins bounce back. Remove from oven then remove the muffins from the pan onto a cooling rack.
These muffins are the perfect addition to a brunch for spring celebrations. Don’t forget Easter, Mother’s Day and even Father’s Day.
Here is the Blueberry Compote recipe. It’s really easy to make while the muffins are baking.
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp. sugar (or substitute 1 1/2 TBLS. honey)
- 1/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbls. fresh squeezed lemon juice
Prep: Combine the berries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Break up the berries with the back of a spoon and cook until thickened, approx. 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool while making the muffin batter.
PLEASE SHARE &